TOP

My Neighbor Next Door is from...England

A monthly blog feature from AAA Translation’s Susanne Evens, My Neighbor Next Door is from… aims to expand multi-cultural knowledge and break down divides by letting readers get to know immigrants from various countries…one neighbor, friend and/or business colleague at a time.

This month’s featured country is England, which takes its name from the Angles, a Germanic tribe that settled there during the 5th and 6th centuries. In the 10th century, England became a unified state and since the 15th century, it has had a significant cultural and legal impact on the world.

We recently interviewed Ronnie Crowley, who now lives in Fort Worth, Texas and works with Quindigo Management. She moved here in May 2002 from England with her husband and two children.

Q. What are the cultural differences between England and the USA?
One of the biggest differences I see is how patriotic the general American is. The flying of flags at their home is something I would very rarely consider doing in the UK. I didn’t even own a union jack until I came to the USA. Another huge difference I have learned is that the average American is much more open to sharing about their personal thoughts and experiences. I’ve learned to expect to learn more about an American I’ve met today than what I know about someone I’ve known in the UK for 6 months! Americans also seem to be very interested in their heritage and where they come from and this is often part of the sharing. As a culture based on immigration, I’m guessing this is why roots are important.

Q. What brought you to the U.S.?
My husband’s job. He works for an aircraft manufacturer who is partnered with a US company to develop a new plane for both countries

Q. What is something most people don't know about your original country?
Most people are surprised to learn that some newspapers in England published daily a “page 3 girl” in them. A page 3 girl is a topless model!

Q. What do you miss the most?
Being able to buy a decent cup of tea when I’m out. Even Starbucks doesn’t teach them how to make it well. I’m always having to explain exactly how to do it -- and yes, I don’t want steamed milk!

Q. What is the biggest misconception you encounter when people learn where you are originally from?
People think that being from England, I have met the Queen or Princess Diana. It’s funny how many people have asked me this over the years! I’m not even a royalist, and there are many people I would prefer to meet. Another one would be that many people think we eat a Full English Breakfast regularly. When I lived in the UK I would only eat this when I was staying at a hotel and even then not every day.


0 comments: